Skip to main content Skip to footer

History of Quispamsis

The original inhabitants were the proud Maliseet First Nation, part of the great Algonquin Federation. The name “Quispamsis” was translated from the Maliseet language and means “little lake,” representing present-day Ritchie Lake.

In 1998, Quispamsis amalgamated with the former Village of Gondola Point and a portion of the area formerly known as Wells.

The early years

Quispamsis is bordered by two rivers, the Kennebecasis River and the Hammond River.  These two rivers were the main travel routes used initially by the First Nations inhabitants, and later by the first European settlers.

Settlers were slow in coming to this area and much of the land in the 1500’s and early 1700’s was associated with Seigniories from Quebec who were granted tracts of land.  In 1689, during the French colonial period, a Seigniory, a title and authority over a particular section of land was granted to a Pierre Chesnet sieur de Breuil.  This land grant consisted of the territory on the south shore of the Kennebecasis River between what is now Meenan’s Cove and Hampton. 

Six years later, in 1695 another grant was issued to Sieur de Plenne.  This land was to the west of the earlier land grant which was issued to Pierre Chesnet Sieur de Breuil and consisted of the remaining territory of what is present day Quispamsis.  In later years the land was reissued to residents who settled in the area. 

English settlement in the Kennebecasis Valley began after the Seven Years War, but it was the coming of the Loyalists in 1783 that greatly increased the population of the Kennebecasis Valley. Many received land grants.

Coat of Arms

The motto “Quispamsis Floreat” is latin for “May Quispamsis Flourish”.

  • The gold colour of the shield represents the sunlight that is the lifegiving force to all. 
  • The green colour of the tree places some importance on the natural vegetation of the area. 
  • The blue wave alludes to the name, “Quispamsis”, meaning “little lake”, in the Maliseet language, referring to present day Ritchie Lake. The blue wave also represents the Kennebecasis River, which has been the major influence in the region for the aspects of historical transportation of goods and lumber as well as modern recreation. 
  • The gondola is a raft that was used in the logging days on the river and carried passengers, goods, and people.  The style of transportation gave it’s name to Gondola Point one of the component municipalities merging to form the new town of Quispamsis.
  • The two white tailed deer represent the Province of New Brunswick which has the same supporters on their Coat of Arms. “Deer” symbolize ‘one who will not fight unless provoked; peace and harmony’. Each deer is differenced from other such supporters by the masoned circlet, which represents the idea of a town and alludes to the portion of the Local Service District of Wells that was merged to form the amalgamated Quispamsis. 

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.